The plug-in vehicle grant has been cut with immediate effect today (18th March 2021)
The changes for cars are:
- Amount of grant is cut from 35% of purchase price up to £3,000 to now 35% of purchase price up to £2,500.
- Cars where the cost price was under £50,000 was eligible for the grant – this has now been reduced to cars with a cost price of under £35,000
The government has stated these changes will allow the funding to last longer and will be available to more drivers across the country.
There has also been changes to the plug-in grant available for light commercial vehicles.
These changes are:
- From 20% of purchase prices up to £8,000 to 35% of purchase price up to £3,000 for vans below 2.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight.
- And 35% of purchase price up to £6,000 for vans 2.5t-3500t.
- Vans must have CO2 emissions of less than 50g/km and must be able to travel at least 60 miles without any emissions to be eligible for the grant.
If you have any questions or queries on the recent changes made by the government give us a call on 0800 043 2050 or email us at email@example.com and we can advise on next steps for yourself or business.
"The increasing choice of new vehicles, growing demand from customers and rapidly rising number of charge points mean that, while the level of funding remains as high as ever, given soaring demand, we are refocusing our vehicle grants on the more affordable zero emission vehicles – where most consumers will be looking and where taxpayers' money will make more of a difference. We will continue to review the grant as the market grows."
Rachel Maclean, Transport Minister"